Tuesday, March 1, 2016

SBCC Brooklyn Hoodie Revisited

I went back for seconds of the Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick Brooklyn Hoodie and I'm so glad I did.  I love this pattern! This time I chose the shorter version and added rib knit trim for the hem and wrist bands, and I'm happy with both of those changes.  After sewing the longer version and also trying the Seamwork Oslo, I've decided that I really don't like things that go too far below my hips.
The french terry fabric and coordinating rib knit are from Hell Gate Fabrics and both are amazing. It's the same fabric that is used on the SBCC pattern sewalong and envelope.   
I cut a small but shaved off an additional 1/4 inch when I pushed the side seams through my serger.  The terry is very stretchy and I wanted to start with a slimmer fit. SBCC patterns are made for petites.  I'm just a smidge under 5'4 and I have a long torso, but the short version is perfect on me without lengthening it. 
I will be making this pattern again and again.  I think I've done a good job of keeping my focus on making pieces that fit into my every day life instead of sewing things I won't get as much use out of.  In the sewing world I think that's called making cake instead of frosting.  And I don't wear a party dress out with these two hoodlums.  They took my pictures for this post and I think they did pretty good considering they didn't want to do it at all.  Happy sewing!

 
 


8 comments:

  1. Very nice! I think next fall I will attempt my first hoodie. I love hoodies and they never seem to fit me right, either too short or the shoulders are too big. Also, I think they took very good photos! Better than my husband seems to do half the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done an excellent job. You my dear have learned a great lesson in your sewing journey too! Always create pieces that you will love and get the most use out of. My mother taught me that a long time ago and I always try to remember it. You little princes did a wonderful job taking your photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother is wise! I like to wear my day-to-day things a lot.

      Delete
  3. Another beautiful creation!! Your boys are adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those terry fabrics are so beautiful. Your photos are awesome! Photographers did a great job. Did you construct most of it on the serger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's all done on the serger except for the top stitching. Didn't you say you are getting one in the spring?

      Delete