My intention for 2018 is to draw up a bodice sloper and create tops, but here I am with another pair of pants. I can't decide what I think about the Closet Case Patterns Sasha Trousers, and it has nothing to do with the pattern itself. The pattern is great, but I swore off cropped pants years ago because I think they make my legs look really stumpy (technical term right there). However, I am in search of a pattern to go with the dark teal stretch denim I purchased from Guthrie and Ghani several months ago, and when I saw the Sasha pattern I thought I would test it out to see if it would work. I'm considering this my wearable muslin, but I'm still undecided on what I think about it!
I'm absolutely in love with the fabric, which is a stretch denim from Style Maker Fabrics. So much so that I'm considering buying 20 yards of it so I can have some on hand for the rest of my life. You can dress up this pattern for work with non-denim fabric, or make it more casual with denim. My top is a Sewaholic Oakridge blouse that I made many moons ago. Alas, my jacket is RTW from JCrew. I bought it years ago and will never part with it.
The welt pockets are a nice touch, although when I study this picture they don't look lined up. I didn't notice that before! I didn't add belt loops due to laziness. I'm a veeerrry lazy seamstress lately.
There are a couple of things I would do differently if I make this pattern again. First, after topstitching the fly shield, I would serge the straight open edge of the shield so I didn't have to serge it to the fly extension after I assembled the fly. I accidently serged both sides of the fly extensions instead of just one side like it says in the instructions. I would do that again so both extensions and the straight edge of the shield are serged prior to being assembled.
Second, my waistband is a train wreck at the front. The instructions say to fold the waistband facing back at the corner when you stitch the waistband at the center front. I did that, but in the future I think I will just do it like I always do, which is to sew the center front without the folded corner and then tuck the facing under to finish. I think that's just personal preference. I couldn't pull the folded corner technique off to get the finish I wanted.
And here's the obligatory shot of the back view. The model pictures at the pattern launch seemed to be extremely tight in the butt. My measurements are a 28 waist and 38 hips. I cut an 8 in the waistband and then graded that out to a 10 in the hips. I sewed a 5/8 inch seam allowance in the inseam, but only a 1/2 inch seam allowance at the top of the pants (prior to adding the waistband). When I hit the pocket I gradually moved out to a 5/8 seam allowance for the rest of the leg seam. The result is a form-fitting pant through the hips but it's not skin-tight. Also, the fabric is very stretchy with good recovery.
I think this might be my last pair of pants for awhile. We will see!