Monday, February 22, 2016

SBCC Moto Chic Jacket

 This is my second make from the Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick pattern company and I've enjoyed both. This jacket turned out just like I wanted it to. I like the moto jacket look but didn't feel like working with leather, so I chose a mustard yellow corduroy from Mood for the shell and a rayon from Cotton+Steel for the lining. 
I don't usually wear anything with a peplum, but I do like this one a lot.  The gathering adds a nice feminine detail. 
The instructions for this are pretty sparse without a lot of diagrams, but there is a sewalong to help you out. The trickiest part in my opinion is sewing the zipper on because you are sewing each half to two different pieces. In the picture below, the top zipper is on the side front panel, while the bottom zipper is on the center front panel. They are two different lengths and shapes, so I pinned the shoulder seams together to help make sure it was all lined up right. 
Then I put the other center front piece over the side front panel to make sure it looked ok before I stitched the zipper.  Don't rush through this part or you might be off a little bit and have to rely on your seam ripper. 
When it came time to bag the lining, one of my center front panels was flapping around at the waist seam.  I don't know if I missed something in the directions, but I eventually stopped reading the instructions and just fiddled with it until I figured out how to attach that part and then sew the lining on. 

My apologies for the poor indoor lighting, but I wanted to show the lining.  I'm not crazy about how it doesn't extend down to the hem.  I didn't plan ahead and used white serger thread (because I'm lazy) which is kind of glaring against the yellow.  If I had it to do over again, I would draft a lining for the peplum and then hand stitch it to the hem. 

This is what it looks like unzipped so you can see how it goes together:

I recommend this pattern, but not for someone who has never made a jacket before .  Try something more straight-forward without the side zipper and overlapping panels, and then come back to this.  Happy sewing!




5 comments:

  1. That is a stunning jacket!! I think the corduroy is wonderful, and the details like the peplum, and flower on the front add so much interest to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, and the corduroy look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really stylish jacket, I like the peplum feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Jacket! Good call sewing it up in Corduroy it really suits you in that gold tone!

    ReplyDelete