This is my second go-round with the Colette Anise. The first one I made last year in corduroy. It was a strange fabric choice for this jacket but the salesperson at the shop assured me it would be OK. I don't hate that one, but I like this one much better. I bought the Anise Companion which makes sewing this jacket very easy. It gives you a day-by-day plan to finish your jacket in 8 days. I decided to take 22 days instead.
My parents take each grandkid on a trip after they graduate 8th grade for a treat. My son and my niece both graduated this year so they planned their trip together to Los Angeles. I invited myself along and the kids graciously allowed me to stop by Mood LA. I read reviews on-line that the employees are not so nice, but my experience could not have been more enjoyable. That probably had something to do with Jose Manuel Gonzales. He was the nicest salesperson EVER. Ask for him if you go there. He also teaches classes. By the way, this was about as well behaved as my son and niece were in the store. However, it's one of my favorite pictures from our trip.
I knew I would be overwhelmed by the fabric choices so I went with a list. Written at the top was "Teal wool = Anise?" The minute I stepped in the aisle I saw the bolt and loved it. The $35/yard price tag initially did not love me back. I can't remember the designer (Carolina Herrera maybe?) but it's a wool/cashmere blend. I walked around the store trying to decide if I should purchase it or not. Obviously it came home with me on the plane! I'm glad it did. Fabric matters.
Since I forked over major bucks for the main fabric I was shy about purchasing another expensive fabric for the lining. Jose found this polyester blend and I love how they look together. I am a little nervous about how the polyester will handle dry cleaning. I might not be opening my jacket in public.
I did a swayback adjustment on my initial Anise last year. I have a long torso and the first one is too short. I kept the same pattern pieces for this version but I added 2 inches of length. I don't know if you are supposed to do that after you do a swayback adjustment, but it worked for me.
I did bound buttonholes for all 8 buttons.
I made my own covered buttons. It could not have been easier and I will do it again for other projects. I used the Dritz kit that I found at Hancocks. I initially wanted to use the wool to make the buttons but it is way too thick. I was going to opt for a teal cotton from my stash that was suitable. The day I was going to make the buttons I went to my local Bernina dealer to buy a ruffle foot for the 2nd or 3rd project in my queue. Fat quarters of teal silk were in a basket by the register and they turned out to be a perfect fit.
This jacket was definitely an investment in time and money but I'm going to wear it for a long time!